As carriers transition to 5G; a technology that is fundamentally different than LTE, 4G, or any of the technologies the industry has ever seen before. They will have to reinvent existing applications to adapt to the data streaming in at considerably higher velocity, very low network latency, and a much higher cell density. As 5G architectures are deployed across the globe; new methodologies are necessary to capture, analyze and ultimately derive value from the high volumes of fast data streaming in from the networks. The ability to offer real-time services via network slices will be crucial to enhance consumer experiences. Telco services will become policy driven and software based. A fast highly scalable ACID compliant database is required to manage these policies.
A virtualized software driven architecture with sub millisecond latency will be necessary to monetize new business models and applications. The market is already demanding real-time analytics; moving from post-event to in-event. Real-time now means milliseconds, opportunities that can only be taken once, after which the data degrades and the window is lost.
New analytics capabilities are now needed that can provide real-time insights across the network and the consumer device. Database technology now needs to deliver even faster on use cases such as: policy and charging, customer value management, transactional OLTP for Telecom Application Servers (TAS), while combining fast data with machine learning to instantly identify trends, risks and opportunities that can be acted upon immediately.
VoltDB is a in-memory database that was designed to provide real-time intelligent decisions with low latency. VoltDB offers out-of-the-box capabilities such as:
- Guaranteed ACID compliance, ensures the consistency and integrity of your data.
- Complex event processing, to seamlessly normalize data streams in mediation.
- Unparalleled high performance with sub millisecond response times, enabled by a distributed scale out architecture. Fast edge analytics supports the stringent QoS metrics dictated by 5G. Several 3rd party TAS applications can run concurrently without any performance degradation.
- Dynamic service delivery leading to high agility and reduced TCO. VoltDB is cloud native, so real-time applications can run smoothly in the cloud.
- Resiliency, high availability, active active disaster recovery are fundamental features of VoltDB, that are not compromised for applications running in the cloud.
Use Cases for Real-time 5G Transactional Data Analytics
Mediation, Policy, & Charging
Mediation collects network and usage data across a wide variety of networks for business intelligence as well as for charging, billing, and policy management. Mediation has traditionally been a batch process executed regularly on massive amounts of data but is moving towards real-time.
Policy-management systems control subscriber access to an increasingly virtualized network that offers multiple services, charging and policy rules, and QoS levels. Policy systems must make real-time decisions in milliseconds. Service providers moving to 5G require evolved charging systems to collect and rate data transactions in real-time. Policy and charging have always had strict latency requirements with responses required in sub milliseconds.
Personalized Services & Offers
To increase customer satisfaction and reduce churn, service providers need to deliver a real-time, personalized user experience to every subscriber on any device. Real-time user targeting allows service providers to build new service offerings and promotions to increase revenue.
To personalize services and offers, service providers need real-time analytics to monitor and analyze the user session data of millions of users in real time on a per-event, per-person basis. Real-time decision engines must combine streaming data with customer profiles or contextual data to generate personalized responses.
Enabling automated business decisions with real-time intelligent BSS
- Problems with the legacy database embedded in their BSS:
- Too expensive to license and operate.
- Neither cloud nor virtualization friendly.
- Too slow to ingest data, analyze it in real-time, and make decisions at the rate required.
They selected VoltDB to power their real-time BSS because:
- High performance and low latency from in-memory technology.
- Offered the best of both worlds; scalability of NoSQL with transactional consistency of traditional databases.
Openet can now offer high-throughput and low-latency (sub 20 milliseconds) response necessary to make decisions in real time.
- Virtualization enables Opennet to easily scale up or down based on changing business requirements.
- Increased customer satisfaction because of blazing fast application performance.
- Opennet’s customers can utilize active/active replication to take advantage of distributed computing architectures and improve resilience while keeping costs low.
Read the full Openet case study now.